Saturday 15 March 2008

Robots In Disguise defeat Tubeway Army

Oh what a headline, oh what a laugh.
Toni and I went to North Greenwich to see Gary Numan at the IndigO2 (inside the O2 Arena)

Toni enjoying a private joke!




Guess who!


Not sure what was going through my mind here!


Support band Robots In Disguise were really good. Loads of energy and some humour and they just seemed to be really enjoying themselves and trying to have a good time (and get the crowd going at the same time). It was really refreshing to see a support band act like that.







Gary Numan was not quite as I had expected him to be. This tour was supposed to be him playing the whole of the REPLICAS album. Unfortunately he deemed to update all the songs to some quasi industrial/NIN style din that didn't really do justice to some great songs. Mr Numan himself appeared to have turned into some pretentious rick "god" as he didn't speak a word until the end of the set and he threw the most ridiculous "rock shapes" that I have seen at a gig in a long time. I can think of cheesy 80s hair bands that would have cringed at some of his antics.

Now don't get me wrong, the music was OK but not what I expected as I had hoped for a note for note sound copy of the REPLICAS stuff but this industrial version isn't what I wanted to hear. The Numanodds (sorry, Numanoids) ate it up and were obviously ecstatic at seeing their hero again but it didn't quite cut it for me. I was gutted to hear such an awful version of Are Friends Electric? and the industrial version of Cars was just shocking.

I don't know if it was deliberate or not but the band just looked totally fucking miserable through the whole gig. It was a real shame as I would have thought they would have tried to make it look like they were enjoying themsleves

















Let me out of here!


Smile, I think Numan is watching!



Do androids ream of electric sheep? Who knows but it was clear that Numan's fan sheep loved every minute of it!

Did he bleach his hair especially for the gig?


Are Friends Electric? or is it just the Sheep?

No comments: