Wednesday 25 March 2009

Antisocial mastication!

Time for a little rant about one of my pet hates, antisocial mastication!
Whilst I have no objection to gum chewing, I am a fan myself, I absolutely hate it when people chew it like they are a cow. The whole massive open mouth movements accompanied by a loud, slurping, chomping sound really gets my heckles up. Out in the open air it isn't so bad as you only have to cope with the visual element (which is unattractive enough) but in a confined space, like a train or office, it is totally intolerable. If I can hear it across the other side of room then what must it sound like up close?

It's not big and not clever and the people who do it surely must be aware of the noise they are making? I have noticed that sometimes people wearing headphones are even worse, not sure if the noise just drowns their incessant chomping and slurping and they are blissfully unaware or if they make it louder just so that they know that they are still chewing (kind of like blokes touching their privates all the time just to check if they are still there)!

Contrary to what these people might think, it IS a problem. If someone politely asks you to stop it then please take it on board that perhaps it IS a problem and you should modify your chewing habits. We should not have to put up with this antisocial mastication so CUT IT OUT!

2 comments:

KipperFillets said...

I agree. Most annoying and at best, highly inconsiderate.

What's sad is that everyone around them must HATE the noise, and yet the masticator will carry on oblivious.

Just how do you tell someone like this? I suppose you shouldn't consider their feelings, as they don't consider yours.

Geminii Glitz said...

Perhaps just telling them to shut the fuck up and chew like a grown up not a 2 year old would work....