Tuesday 3 November 2009

The Veil @ Purple Turtle

Toni and I went to Camden tonight to see The Veil at the Purple Turtle. I had arranged to do a gig review and also an interview with The Veil as part of my involvement with Glitzine.

After walking the wrong way we finally arrived at the venue at 19:30 to be told that the doors wouldn't be opening until 20:00. I had originally been told doors were 19:00! We grabbed ourselves some chips and Curry/sweet and sour sauce and sat outside Costa Coffee.

I got a called from Tanja, The Veil's manager, who informed me that there had been a real mix up at the Purple Turtle and that doors would be around 20:30. We went to the venue then and got in only to find that the first band was already halfway through their set! I will get on the bands in a moment.....

I did my interview with Jensara Swann (The Veil's singer) which went really well but unfortunately it turned out that they were now going to be headlining the event which meant that we would have to leave early.


And just for fun:


It was nice to see Carina (of Cryogenica) there tonight so we had a brief catch up on all things Cryogenica.

There were four bands on tonight:

APNIA
Unfortunately we missed a lot of their set due to the venue confusion! APNIA are a female fronted gothic metal band with some catchy tunes. Laura has a very powerful voice which reminded me at times of the wonderful Julianne Regan (All About Eve/Eden House). It's a shame we didn't get to see all of their set as they were pretty good.




Check them out here: www.myspace.com/apn1a


LITURGY OF DECAY
Despite having a full band list on their Mypace page, LITURGY OF DECAY tonight was just vocalist/guitarist Olivier Luthereau accompanied by an impressive set of electronics to provide the rest of the backing. It wasn't bad at all, would go down a storm at a goth event but wasn't necessarily right for this line up tonight. I really liked it but it was maybe a tad mellow for the rest of the crowd. Tristiana was an awesome song.




Check them out here: www.myspace.com/liturgyofdecay


MARKIZE
Singer Alina has a very powerful voice. The band deliver up some very nice femme metal with Alina adding in some haunting melodies. Pick of the crop had to be their wonderful cover of Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out Of My Head. If only all pop songs sounded that good LOL




Check them out here: www.myspace.com/markize


THE VEIL
Unfortunately things ran even later than expected and so we didn't get to see THE VEIL at all as they were still setting up when we had to leave but at least I did get to do my interview. On a positive note we should be seeing them on Saturday instead.

Check them out here: www.myspace.com/theveil

No comments: