Saturday 26 June 2010

Cryogenica album launch @ The Gaff

Tonight I pootled off to The Gaff to see my friends in Cryogenica at their album launch.

It was most odd as this was billed as a "metal night" but Cryogenica are simply NOT metal, most odd. Had a chat with Jon and Carina before the evening kicked off, four bands in all..............


ECHO VIRUS
It's a shame the bill had wildly misplaced acts as I actually quite liked ECHO VIRUS but my head was in a different place so they didn't really fit the bill. The play technincal thrash/death metal, the vocals are very grrrr arrgghh but musically they were technically excellent. I'd love to see them in a different setting where I could really appreciate them.




See all the ECHO VIRUS pics here: 260610EchoVirusTheGaff


ZANGRYUS
ZANGRYUS served up some European flavoured femme metal. Still didn't really fit the bill but weren't bad at all! They had good melodies, chugging riffs and Yngwie style solos. The singer had a great set of lungs on her and it is refreshing to see a female singer in a metal band that isn't a skinny minx.




See all the ZANGRYUS pics here: 260610ZangryusTheGaff


LAST JULY
Now this was more like what I had been expecting tonight. LAST JULY were a great goth/electronic band. Singer Alixandrea started them off by saying, "We know there are loads of goths at the back, we aren't a metal band so you can come forwards now!" QUALITY! They were very danceable and got the evening back on track with some really strong songs.





See all the LAST JULY pics here: 260610LastJulyTheGaff#


CRYOGENICA
With the evening running over schedule CRYOGENICA finally hit the stage at 23:20. Sadly this meant that my evening would be cut short as I would have to leave before the end of the set to get the last train back to Eltham. The set started strongly and new guitarist Scott really fills out the sound and beefs it up nicely. I only got to hear three songs which was a damn shame as it appeared that Richard Lemora was gearing up for a guest appearance at some point, TYPICAL! They were sounding good though so hopefully things will start to go their way this year.





See all the CRYOGENICA pics here: 260610CryogenicaTheGaff#

It was another good night out, just a shame that I had to leave early but I have now found out information on the night buses so I won't be leaving before the end in future!

No comments: