Friday 29 October 2010

Whitby Goth Weekend day 2

A nice gentle wake up today (rather than waking up hellishly early) and then some lovely coffee to kick start things.

The day began at The Spa where we traded in our tickets for wristbands and then committed Dan, Laura, Gill & Andi to the care of Loki for their WGW 'virgin' talk. Toni and I had a mooch round some stall and had a catch up with Nickie & Rob on the Devolution stall.

The next few hours were spent mooching and shopping. Managed to buy some nice things but also show some restraint as it's so easy to go crazy and spend a fortune.

Lots if walking and shopping later we headed back to the apartment to chill out ready for hitting the town later.

Gill & Andi opted out of The Spa and went to the Abbey for one of the late night tours. Dan, Laura, Toni and I went to the Indian restaurant over the road and had a gorgeous meal. It was every bit as good as the last time we visited.

Sadly, Laura decided she wasn't feeling up to hitting The Spa so we took her back to the apartment before heading off.

The usual fare was on offer at The Spa, good bands and lots of drinking and and more different varieties of goth than you could ever imagine. The band part was all a bit weird as Dan isn't good with crowds so Toni stayed with him at the back while I went up front to get some photos. I have to admit I was torn as I wanted to groove at the front but it didn't feel right with Toni at the back and as she didn't want to leave Dan on his own I then felt obliged to go back and sit with them which took a bit of the fun out of things for me. We kept getting chatted to by the guy from the Devolution stall who had never been to WGW before and so he seemed to like the fact that we were people he recognised and could talk to. It was also nice to see Stephanie Bowry there who I haven't seen since the sad demise of Evolution in Southend.


PRO-JEKT
I really enjoyed these guys. They warmed up the crowd nicely with their unique sound and left me a very happy bunny.


THE STRIPPER PROJECT
This was an interesting experience. They reminded me a lot of Carter USM especially with their witty lyrics. Not really 'goth' to me but enjoyable nonetheless.


MANUSKRIPT
Celebrating 20 years, this was one big party for Manuskript. They were really enjoying themselves and the crowd were putty in their hands. Wonderful covers of Pet Shop Boys 'It's A Sin' and Falco's 'Rock Me Amadeus' brought a smile to my face. They were joined on stage by Jeff Diehm ( of The Last Dance & Autumn Cannibals) which was a nice treat.


After The Spa I wanted to go out dancing but sadly we returned to the apartment. Overall it was a good start to proceedings and hopefully things will really take off from here!

Photos will appear on my return so please check back!

- Posted using BlogPress on my iPhone

No comments: