Tuesday 11 December 2012

More broken trains, broken work, fish dinner and Blackadder

The trains were up the creek again this morning. It was actually so bad that people were starting to leave the station to make alternative arrangements. I guess it must be my lucky week as once again I didn't have to wait long before a train turned up with space on it. RESULT!

Work was kind of broken too. Actually it was completely fucked! I spent the whole day with my colleague frantically trying to sign off a release so that it could be installed by a client tomorrow. We were there, signed off and ready to go with two know issues reported. One of these issues a developer then claimed wasn't a problem and kept complaining that I kept failing his bug every time I sent it back to be fixed. Bottom line was that it WAS broken and not fixed. He then went to great lengths to say that we had corrupted our data or our setup and it was nothing to do with him and that we should spend time analysing why we had done to it.

We then decided to go back to the base database that said developer had provided us with and start from there. When we finally got everything running I was proved correct. His fix WAS NOT a fix, the system was still broken and this was using HIS data. Three of us spent an additional two hours in the office chasing our tails while the developer had gone home and graciously said we could call him if we needed him! As you can probably gather I was not very happy spending additional time in the office just to prove what I knew was right all along!

The good news is that we managed to get the release out to the client and it will be installed tomorrow as planned! The down side is I will have to go through this while fucking loop again tomorrow as I try to convince said developer that he was wrong and that he still needs to fix things! Grrrrrr!

On top of this I've had trouble explaining to a system architect what is expected of him when I require a step by step guide to installing some components in a manner that a complete novice can follow. It scares me that this seems to be beyond the comprehension of someone who, given his title, should be more than capable of working out what is required!

*sigh* So that was work!

It was great relief that I finally got home to snuggles and a wonderful fish dinner!

Chill out time was provided by the first series of Blackadder!

No comments: