Monday 8 April 2013

RIP Margaret Thatcher, Jimmy Spices, returning home and Wrestlemania 29

I posted this on Facebook yesterday when I heard the news that Margaret Thatcher had died. I had an inkling that Facebook would be full of horrible bile and vitriol and I wasn't wrong so I felt the need to post the following: "RIP Margaret Thatcher. Whilst I may not have been her number one fan during her active political years I am not going to join the sad lemming bandwagon in suggesting parties and celebrations. She was an old woman who was very ill. If you think that you are valid political adjutant then do something about the current government rather than picking on someone who hasn't actually been involved for twenty one years."

I was saddened to see how many of many friends felt the need to spout forth a load of disrespectful stuff. Whilst I appreciate that the Iron Lady didn't exactly make herself popular during her terms of office I was still amazed at how much anger people had considering that people seem quite happy to let Cameron and company rip apart society as we know it today.

We took mum out for lunch at Jimmy Spices before heading back to London. Needless to say there was a lot of food consumed as is befitting of the wonders of the buffet style restaurant!

Our evening was finished off with Wrestlemania 29. This wasn't a bad little pay per view. There were a couple of OK matches and some really good ones. Orton, Sheamus and Big Show versus The Shield was a reasonable starter and I was delighted to see The Shield pick up the victory. The Miz versus Barrett was quite good and it was nice to see a title change hands. Jericho v Fandango was piss poor. I really hated this and I was surprised that even Jericho wasn't able to carry Fandango and make this match good. Hopefully that little feud will be short lived. Although it was not a match full of great moves I was pleased to see Mark Henry snuff out Ryback. This was purely a battle of strength. It was no surprise to see Team Hell No defeat Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston. Ziggler shouldn't be getting in used in ad hoc tag team when he is a true main event singles performer. Alberto Del Rio v Jack Swagger was not a great match but at least Del Rio retained his belt. This is another feud that needs to end soon, it's gone on too long and is boring.

Match of the night for me was CM Punk v The Undertaker. There was no way that The Undertaker was going to walk away from this without a 21 - 0 record of Wrestlemania wins but both men put on great performances and sold the bout well even if the end wasn't really in doubt. There were lots of close calls and nice little twists and turns before The Undertaker finally pulled off the final Tombstone and took out CM Punk.

Brock Lesnar v HHH was a brutal slugfest. It wasn't an elegant match but it was entertaining including Lesnar's failed ROAR! I was surprised that HHH won as I had figured this was the perfect opportunity for him to take on his backstage role full time but I guess it leave Lesnar with something to prove going forward.

Final match was John Cena v The Rock for the WWE Championship. I am not a fan of either wrestler but I'll take Cena over The Rock any day. This was not a wrestling classic and was quite poor for a main event match, it was more like a battle of the finishing moves. I was delighted (and surprised at the same time) to see John Cena walk away with the belt. I really thought that the WWE would let The Rock retain it but I'm glad they didn't. No doubt he'll be skipping off back to Hollywood soon.

So there you have it. It wasn't a classic Wrestlemania. It lacked some of the sparkle and strong matches from previous years but it was entertaining nonetheless and well worth watching.

No comments: