Thursday 19 September 2013

iOS7 overview

Yesterday night I upgraded my phone to iOS7 and today I was giving it a run for it's money. First impressions are that I like it a lot. There are lots of positive things about it. The fist big one for me is removing the restrictions on the number of apps you have have in a folder now. I had quite a lot of folders which I have now managed to consolidate to a more manageable amount.

Although a long time coming the new swipe up Control Centre is fantastic. Better late than never with this. It is now a piece of cake to go into airplane mode, turn wi-fi on and off and adjust screen brightness. There is also a new torch buttton in there plus access to the clock app, calculator and camera.

The clever Parallax background manager was a novelty for five minutes but I turned that off quite quickly as it is one of those battery drain items LOL.

The new icons are nice and crisp although I have to confess that I think the Newsstand one looks a bit pants now. The old one was much nicer but hey ho, can't have everything.

Things I like:
Nice clean feel about the whole thing. The whole aesthetic of iOS7 is quite pleasing to me. I like the way some of the core apps have been redesigned
New lock screen
New camera app
New music player
No limit on apps in folder
Control Centre
App Management to kill off open apps is now a breeze

Things I don't like:
Newsstand icon
Calendar display in the Notification Centre. This used to just list all the events. Now it tries to show a chunk of day view so you can end up with a grid with nothing in if your appointments are outside the time band that it is showing plus all day events don't appear anymore. This one MUST be fixed ASAP as it renders the whole thing pointless.
Colours/display of the new Messages app. I know the whole thing is supposed to look flat but the colours are a bit meh. It's a shame they can't be customised.

Oh, and while we are here, BATTERY LIFE! As can be expected with snazzy new iOS updates you have to learn all the things to switch off to help preserve battery life. It's not a big deal but does have to be done especially when you are running a 4S! I am sure when I do my upgrade to the new 5S I won't have such a big issue with the battery.

So, to sum up. iOS7 is a HIT for me. I much prefer it to iOS6 and it's amost like using a whole new phone. Haters are gonna hate but I like what Apple have done here.

Tomorrow the iPAD gets it! LMFAO

  




No comments: