Sunday 23 January 2011

A grumble at Race For Life

Some friends have organised a Race For Life participation at Regent's Park on World Goth Day. It's a goth bolt on to the official Race For Life event.

I was all geared up for this, even got Toni and Sophie on board to do it too only to find out that I can't actually participate as it is "women only". WTF is all I had to say to that.

Taken from the Race For Life website:
Q: Why is Race for Life for women only?
A: Race for Life is the only women-only event of its type organised by Cancer Research UK. We restrict entry to women due to the wishes of our participants. It is one of our most successful events because it is a unique opportunity for women to come together in a non-competitive and celebratory atmosphere.

So, do they poll ALL of their participants EVERY year to check their wishes or is this just some lame cop out to try and justify things? I would probably be more sympathetic to this stance if they were doing things in aid of breast cancer only but they aren't, they support Cancer Research UK.

Don't get me wrong, I think the work that they do is fantastic but I think this exclusion policy that they have sucks big time. I want to be involved, I want to run/walk it with all my gothic friends but I can't. I don't want to be involved by showing my support, I want in! They would raise a shed load more money if they didn't have such a silly policy.

Ho hum, grumble over now, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADIES!

No comments: