Sunday 13 September 2009

My own little soap opera

I swear I should write a book to cover the soap opera that seems to be things going on with my family and get it made into a soap opera, you just can't make this shit up!

Another lazy morning with no intention of getting up was disrupted by the phone ringing at 11:30. It was Sophie upset and in a rage. Apparently she had had a call from A&E at Broomfield Hospital saying that Shane had taken Scarlett in as she had a bump on her head but that Shane and Scarlett had disappeared. I tried to get Sophie to calm down but she was adamant that something bad had happened and it was Shane's fault.

I called Shane and his opening line was, "You aren't going to shout at me and threaten to kill me too are you?" I reassured him that this was not the case, I just wanted to find out what was going on. Anyhow, it transpired that Scarlett had banged her head on her cot in the morning while tring to crawl about. Shane, quite rightly, was concerned and so took Scarlett to A&E at Broomfield Hospital. Once she had been checked over they then wanted to transfer her over to St. Johns Hospital for further observation and told Shane that an ambulance would take him. After 1.5 hours waiting Shane had had enough and so called a friend to take him and Scarlett to St. Johns Hospital. His only mistake was not informing A&E what he had done and so they rightly contacted Sophie when they couldn't find him and Scarlett (presumalby Sophie's number was the one on file).

Sophie was still raging and was convinced that this could not have been an accident and started threatening to come down from Nottingham (she has decided to go back there to live with her mother) to get Scarlett. Fortunately it was not possible for Sophie to make a rash decision and come down to try and take Scarlett back. I received no end of abuse from her (and her mother in the background) because I refused to go and try and take Scarlett away from Shane. As far as I was concerned there was nothing to worry about and I was certainly not likely to have Shane willingy hand Scarlett over anyway.

A few hours later Shane called me to say that Scarlett had been discharged from hospital and was back home. In my view if there had been any cause for concern over Scarlett's welfare they would have kept her in overnight until a social worker could get involved rather than let her be discharged back into potential danger.

Shane then asked me if Toni was with me (I asked why as I know the pair of them aren't the biggest fans of each other). He then said that if she was then would we like to come over and see Scarlett as it had been a while since we had seen her with Sophie scooting off to Nottingham a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked but delighted at this. We had been planning to go to Chelmsford to see the ice hockey anyway and so decided to detour via Shane's first to see Scarlett. Unfortunately Sam didn't fancy ice hockey so didn't come but Shane has said that he can go and see Scarlett in the week if he wants.

We spent about 45 minutes with Shane and Scarlett and it was lovely to see her again. Thankfully there was no atmosphere and Shane was very chatty and pleasant. He has said that when he sorts out exactly what his contact with Scarlett will be then we are more than welcome to go and see her which was very decent of him I though.

I sent Sophie a text to say that I had seen Scarlett and she was fine and after a bit of silence she called me and although she was still cynical about Shane's explanation she did at least seem to have calmed down a bit.

Oh the joys of parenthood! LOL

Here's a couple of pics:




and finally..............

No comments: