Saturday 25 September 2010

Reckless Love @ The Garage

Toni and I headed off to The Garage to see Reckless Love. We amused ourselves in the queue as we watched some car crash TV with a bunch of girls who were very drunk, one of whom was paralytic and couldn't even walk. Thankfully they weren't going to our gig but some other event upstairs at the same venue. Before we actually got into The Garage we were joined in the queue by Jo and Armitage (of The Paranoid Squirrel fame).

THE MERCY HOUSE
I was surprised to see The Mercy House as a support for this gig as they didn't really fit the genre and seemed a little our of place. There set was good and solid but they didn't seem to have the same spark that they had when we saw them at The Barfly.


JETTBLACK
Jettblack were one of the reasons that I really wanted to attend this gig. They didn't disappoint and I was very glad to have seen them as I was really impressed with their debut album.





RECKLESS LOVE
Reckless Love were a little surreal. I love their album but there was something seriously missing tonight. I could just about cope with Olli's Michael Monroe mannerisms (there is strictly no hiding who he was influenced by) but parts of the show seems to move from fun to verging on comedy. It was almost like they were going to morph into Steel Panther at times. Sadly, their cover of Def Leppard's Hysteria was not a good move and they managed to destroy a song that is, at best, mediocre. The between song banter was VERY cheesy and the whole thing came off as a little bit Europop. The songs were good, don't get me wrong, but it was very hard to take it all seriously which left me feeling a little empty and unfulfilled at the end of it.




No comments: