Tuesday 15 October 2019

A near miss... three cheers for decent people!

The journey home tonight was a near miss. On the train home (which was on a go slow) my guts decided to go into overdrive. By the time the train arrived at Eltham I was a bit like this:

I gingerly made my way to the toilets. I got to the Gents, closed due to vandalism. I got to the Disabled toilet, closed due to flooding. I got to the Ladies, closed after 15:30 due to short staff! Things were not looking good. Sam asked if I could make it home in an Uber. Not a chance without a terrible accident. We made our way to the ticket office.

There was one person in front of me who was just asking question upon question and things were looking dire as I could feel the gurgling in my stomach getting worse. I approached the office and asked if there was any chance a toilet could be opened as I was in a bad way. The lady on duty pulled down her blind and told me to head back to the toilets.

When she appeared she told me that she had to get another member of staff from the platform before she could do anything, I nearly cried. In what felt like the longest few minutes ever she reappeared and unlocked the Ladies for me.

A few seconds longer and disaster would have struck but thankfully I made it just in time. That was really close.

I couldn't thank her enough when I came out. Just as well she was no jobsworth who might have denied my request especially as the Ladies was the only working set of toilets. Three cheers for decent people!



No comments: