Sunday 30 August 2020

Up early, NJPW, Body Fixers, hockey and Star Trek Lower Decks

Toni doesn't always sleep too well these days (either broken sleep it just can't nod off) so I quite often wake up early-is and then then leave her to catch up. Today was no different so it was time to entertain myself. 

I really enjoy wrestling but have become very disappointed with the recent output from both WWE and AEW. I gave up on WWE RAW and Smackdown and NXT and NXT UK were my go to shows. NXT has gone down hill a bit since it moved from WWE Network to USA Network when they started to introduce more storylines in line with RAW and Smackdown; It's strength for me was always good quality wrestling and less bullshit. Due to coronavirus NXT UK has become a recap/greatest matches show (although apparently they are going to start taping new shows soon). I keep dipping into AEW shows but I just can't get on with it.

Today I returned to Japanese wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) taking in an episode of NJPW Strong and working my way through their Summer Struggle 2020 series (I started on day 12). 

NJPW shows have always been entertaining, good quality wrestling and very little bullshit. Silly entrances aside, it's all about the grappling and there is no end of taken in NJPW. I ended up watching a combination of English and Japanese broadcasts. In a way the Japanese ones are better as I don't speak a word so just focus on the in ring action.  If you like a bit of wrestling it is definitely worth trying to get hold of some of the NJPW stuff, don't let the language barrier put you off.

When Toni got up we had breakfast and then embarked on some more episodes of Body Fixers. We finished Season 1 and now are all set for Season 2 to be on Netflix on Tuesday.

I made a chicken curry for dinner (with supervision from Toni). This was delicious!

We caught up with the New York Islanders v Philadelphia Flyers game hoping to see the Islanders get knocked back a bit. There series was tied 1 - 1 so it was fingers crossed that the Flyers could take a lead. Fist person ended with Flyers leading 1 - 0, both teams being a little cautious but there was hope! Second period ended with the Flyers on the wrong end of a 1 - 2 scoreline but still everything to play for. The Flyers certainly tried to play but sadly not well enough and the Islanders won 3 - 1 and went ahead in the series 2 - 1. 

Picking up on something new we checked out Star Trek Lower Decks.This animated series is slightly bonkers and and pretty irreverent but channels that Star Trek aesthetic, If you like Star Trek you'll either love it or hate it!

The evening ended the Vancouver Canucks v Vegas Golden Knights game from last night. My support was for the Canucks in this series that was tied 1 - 1. Five minuted in and the Golden Knights were ahead 2 - 0, Not the start I had hoped for. First period ended with the Golden Knights leading 2 - 0. Second period ended the same with the Golden Knights leading. Golden Knights dominated this game and won 3 - 0 and extended their series lead to 2 - 1. *sigh*

Remember what I said the other day about placing bets on hockey games? That sill stands! LOL 

No comments: