Tuesday 5 February 2013

One step closer to Equal Marriage

So, today was quite an important one as we moved one step closer to Equal Marriage. Please note it is EQUAL MARRIAGE and not Gay Marriage as so many of our lazy/ignorant journalists keep reporting it.

I listened to most of the Marriage (Same Sex Couple) Bill debate that was broadcast today. Some of it was cringe worthy, some of it misinformed and some of it heart warming. It's funny how most of the people who were against it were older. A generational issue perhaps? I was delighted that the voting went 400 - 175 in favour of taking the Bill to a second reading.

Why is this important to me? For two reasons really.

1) GENERALLY: I just don't see why there should be any discrimination at all. I am happy that religious bodies should have the right to opt out of performing ceremonies if they want to but I don't see why marriage should be restricted to heterosexual couples only. I believe that if you love someone and want to be married, rather than in a civil partnership, then that option should be open. I also believe that  heterosexual couples should have the right to have a civil partnership, should they decide that they don't want marriage but do want to have a meaningful ceremony of some sort to mark their commitment.

2) PERSONALLY: It might have an impact on me and wherever my trans journey might take me at some point in the future. At present if I was to go for a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) (to be classified as female) then our marriage would be declared null and void. This sucks and it's not something that we want to entertain. We are happily married and wish to remain so no matter where I go, that must be preserved. Under the Marriage (Same Sex Couple) Bill  this would not happen. If I was to go for a GRC then our marriage would stand and remain intact. Job done, perfect, just as it should be!

Sure, there is still a fair way to go before this becomes law but the 225 majority to progress things shows that the support could well be there to push this all the way through and on to the statute books. I was even delighted to learn that my local MP, James Brokenshire, was voting in favour. Now he is never likely to get my vote as he is a Conservative but he has certainly gone up in my estimation since reading on his website that he is in favour of this bill.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are amazing and so right i say this as A proud Bi-sexual guy i really thing people shouldn't discriminate its just wrong but there are just some things that people don't understand

Unknown said...

i think you are amazing and what you stand for is right i say this as a proud bisexual guy thank you for being the person who stands up for people like me

Unknown said...

thank you for understanding that gay people need their rights too