Saturday 26 April 2014

Dolmen Grove Beltane Spirit Of Rebirth camp - day 2

It rained in the night. It rained a LOT in the night. Bell tent didn't bat an eyelid. There was quite a lot of carnage when we stuck our heads outside of the ten though with some of the smaller tents and gazebos being trashed.

Fortunately it was not raining when we finally surfaced into the world. Toni started showing a few people her crochet hats and before long she had sold some and was taking orders!

Pixie Mikey put in a special request for one that Toni knocked up in no time at all...

Whilst Toni was hat making I attended a didgeridoo workshop that was being presented by Oaken. It was great fun but hard work. I had to undo all my embouchre skills from when I learned the French Horn as everything was in reverse for playing a didge. I did manage to get a drone going though so I was happy.
Photos courtesy of Chris Hermon



After the didge workshop Toni and I went to listen to Professor Ronald Hutton give a wonderful talk on the history of Beltane.

 Next up was a drum workshop that I took my newly acquired floor tom to. Had great fun at this one. Lots of great rhythms flying about. I was also introduced to the Dolmen Grove Drummers ceremonial drum rhythm which I picked up fairly quickly. Sadly it was over too soon although I did manage to get some brownie points for my impromptu rendition of Antmusic!

Throughout the afternoon a wonderful Beltane pyre was built with a marvelous pepperami man on it. A very rude one at that!

Next up was a musical interlude with Spriggan Mist putting on a fine set

After the Sprigs we gathered up mead and drum and headed back to the ten to watch The Dolmen. There was mead, there was rum, there was The Dolmen, there was dancing......there was even the macarena!!!!

As was the norm with The Dolmen gigs they ended the set with Go Laddie Go accompanied by The Dolmen Drummers. Tonight, however, there was a new addition.....

What a blast that was, SO MUCH FUN!

It didn't end there though as The Dolmen Drummers prepared for the Beltane ritual.

The rest of the night was spent drinking and hanging out round the fire listening to songs

The evening drew to a close and we headed back to our tent to have a cup of tea, relax and enjoy the candlelight from our chandelier











No comments: