Wednesday 19 August 2009

Bit of a PC panic!

Last night my PC started running incredible slowly. It reached the stage where I had to do a reboot a few times to get things running smoothly again.

Last reboot I did before it was time to run scheduled backup the maching didn't reboot, just hung at the Windows XP loading screen. A couple more reboots didn't help and it fluctuated between hanging at the XP screen or not even getting that far.

Panic started to set in, although nearly all my data was backed up there were a few things I still needed to get off and the last thing I need at the moment is a dead hard drive and having to get a new one and re-install everything all over again.

When I woke up things hadn't improved and then it turned out the PC wasn't even recognising the hard drive to boot from. I tried getting the PC to pick it up but without any luck. Just as I was getting desperate I decided to swap the power and SATA cables over on the hard drive.

Lo and behold the damn thing started up again, thank god! In the interest of my mental health I have kicked off an additional backup during the day just in case the hard drive does decide to give up the ghost.

At least I won't have to spend the night trying to re-install Windows XP and be mourning my lost data!

PHEW!

No comments: