Thursday 31 December 2020

2020: the year that wasn't

2020 was one really strange year. It was a year that wasn't. It started well, there were plans. Toni and I did at least manage to get to York in February for my 50th for the Jorvik Viking Festival and Descended From Odin's Jorvik Takeover event. The coronavirus took hold and the rest of the year went on hiatus. 

My company were one step ahead of the UK government as we started enforcing working from the week before the government looked at a lockdown. I started with a desk in the bedroom but once it looked like things were not going to end any time soon we turned the small craft room into an office for me. I started off struggling with working from home but now don't miss the daily commute at all and if all goes well I won't have to spend much time in the office once things start to settle down again.

Lots of gigs were cancelled and/or postponed until 2021. As things stand now I am wondering if those are still going to be viable in 2021 given where we are with the state of coronavirus.

The one things that has become clear is that the UK government have been absolutely shite during the pandemic. They have been slow to react, blurred the guidance and made confusing rules that just starting to piss everyone off. It's no wonder that people weren't really taking it seriously when it looked like our government weren't either. This farce is still continuing with our crazy tier system and schools being forced to go back early in January despite protests and warnings from teaching unions and scientists. 

Here's my harvested data to show how well we aren't doing and where we are right now!

The world changed in a dramatic way as a result of coronavirus and as we head into 2021 you have to wonder what the future is going to be like. It's certainly going to take a long time to get back to a more consistent way of living and I doubt things will never be the same again.

Oh and then there was the Brexit 'deal' but I won't even go into that. Let's just wait and see how that little disaster unfolds........

No comments: