Wednesday 4 October 2017

The Toxic Avenger The Musical @ Arts Theatre West End (REVIEW)

It was back to the Arts Theatre tonight for our second showing of The Toxic Avenger The Musical.

My relationship with The Toxic Avenger started way back in the late 80s when I attended a horror movie all-nighter at The Scala Cinema in King's Cross. If my murky memory is correct the bill was Night Of The Living Dead, The Toxic Avenger, Dawn Of The Dead, Driller Killer and Day Of The Dead. The Toxic Avenger was the best film on the bill and I left a fan. Throughout my life I've watched The Toxic Avenger many times along with the sequels (we are up to four films now). Being the good parent that I am I introduced Sam to Toxie when it was appropriate and he also became a big fan of him and all things Troma.

This is the reason why we got so excited to hear that The Toxic Avenger The Musical. Well done to Toni for spotting the posted on the escalator wall on the underground. You've had my initial thoughts from when we went to see the show on Thursday 28th but I thought I'd write up something a little more in depth after round two.

For the record, this show is NOT a horror and you certainly need no prior knowledge of Toxic for it to make sense or for it to provide enjoyment.

Opening number "Who Will Save New Jersey" sets the scene for the depressed landscape that is Tromaville in New Jersey.

The cast were all absolutely brilliant and they had an amazing chemistry between them that made everything work so well.

Mark Anderson is absolutely superb as Melvin Ferd The Third and The Toxic Avenger. He can rock it up on numbers like "Kick Your Ass" but my word he has the voice of an angel when he sings his heart out to "Thank God She's Blind" and "You Tore My Heart Out". In fact the latter sends chills down my spine of emotional joy when he delivers.

Emma Salvo is perfect as Sarah and very much reflects Toxie's girlfriend from the films. It can't be easy portraying a blind character but she pulls it off brilliantly. Like Mark she has a versatile voice and their duets together are sublime especially "Hot Toxic Love".

Natalie Hope plays Melvin's bedraggled mother and also Tromaville Mayor and femme fatale. Two very contrasting roles that she brings life to life. Her double act for "Bitch/Slut/Liar/Whore" is simply phenomenal. Oh and check your temperature when she vamps it up for "Jersey Girl" and "Evil Is Hot".

Oscar Conlon-Morrey is a man who puts everything into his work. Every character he portrayed was larger than life.... and he portrayed many characters. His manic cop and folk singer were particular favourites of mine especially as one of my favourite songs is "Legend Of The Toxic Avenger".

Che Francis like Oscar had many characters to play and boy did he play them with gusto. There were many costume changes and there was some superb singing and dancing. Stand out of the night for me was his duet with Natalie Hope for "Evil Is Hot".


Then we have the band. These guys can play and give it their all. Thanks to a fantastic sound engineer everything is perfectly balanced. The soundtrack, written by Bon Jovi keyboard player David Bryan, is simply amazing and I've been listening to it non-stop since last week. I never get tired of listening to it. I really hope someone considers doing either a CD or DVD release of this current show as I'd love to have a copy as a memento.

A big shout out has to also go to everyone behind the scenes that put this show together. From set design to make-up and props everything was just perfect and was completely in keeping with the Troma ethic.

After seeing The Toxic Avenger The Musical the first time I said that it was my second favourite musical after Phantom Of The Opera and pushing Rocky Horror Show into third place. This has now changed. Toxic is well and truly the number one spot. It is fun, irreverent, and a fantastic night out.

















No comments: